Whether raw dog foods are dangerous or not, it has been a controversial topic. Recently a piece of news about raw dog product recall gives rise to concern again.
We notice that a product recall for Thogersen Family Farm — a raw pet food company based out of Stanwood, WA. Here is the announcement of FDA: Thogensen Family Farm Recalls Raw Frozen Ground Pet Food (Rabbit; Duck; Llama; Pork) Because of Possible Listeria Monocytogenes Health Risk.
We were educated that a high level of potentially harmful bacteria found in raw dog food. However, a raw meat-based diet has become popular because people think it’s better than commercial foods. I was pleased to learn the article titled Raw Dog Food Diet: Benefits and Risks.
What it is raw dog food diet?
A raw dog food diet typically consists of:
- Muscle meat, often still on the bone
- Bones, either whole or ground
- Organ meats such as livers and kidneys
- Raw eggs
- Vegetables like broccoli, spinach, and celery
- Apples or other fruit
- Some dairy, such as yogurt
The pros and cons for raw foods for dogs
I. Potential benefits include:
- Shinier coats
- Healthier skin
- Cleaner teeth
- Higher energy levels
- Smaller stools
II.Potential risks include:
- Threats to human and dog health from bacteria in raw meat
- An unbalanced diet that may damage the health of dogs if given for an extended period
- Potential for whole bones to choke an animal, break teeth or cause an internal puncture
What do vets think about raw diet for dogs?
- According to the research, raw meat dog food products contain high levels of bacteria that pose potential health risks to both animals and people, particularly for infants, the senior people, and those who have a weak immune system. Therefore, careful storage and handling of raw meat dog food are important.
Regarding raw meat dog diet, researchers note that many of the benefits attributed to a raw food diet for dogs are the result of the high-fat composition of the typical raw diet. Yet high-fat commercial foods that would produce the same effect. Dog supplements can also be used as an alternative to increased fat in the diet.
As said, raw dog food has shown bacterial contamination. Moreover, experts warn that unbalanced food diets are associated with feeding dog a home raw meat-based diet. Lack of certain nutrient content, it could cause a dog’s health issues, such as anemia, bone fractures and dental problems.
Dog owners have the desire to feed ‘healthier’ and more ‘natural’ food to our dogs. However, we should carefully feed our dog with raw foods. Experts suggest a cooked homemade food if you don’t like commercial food, taking recipes designed by a nutritionist certified by the American College of Veterinary Nutrition.